VK (or VKontakte, meaning InContact) is a Russian-based online social media and social networking service. VK was launched in September 2006 by Pavel Durov, who had just graduated from St. Petersburg State University.
Similar to Facebook’s beginnings (check also our Facebook tutorial), user registration was initially limited to university members circles, by invitation, but the site grew quickly. In February 2007 it already had 100.000 registered users and was considered as the second most important social network in Russia. By December 2008 it had 10 million users and was the most popular social networking service in Russia. Nowadays, VK has more than 410 million users.
VK is available in several languages, but is most popular among Russian-speaking users. The service allows users to message each other publicly or privately, to create groups, public pages and events, share and tag images, documents, audio and video, and to play browser-based games.
How to create a new VK account
These are the steps you need to follow in order to create a VK account:
- Open a new browser window and go to the VK homepage, here: https://vk.com/ .
- On the right side of the screen you will see two boxes, one for log in and another one for sign up. The one below has the message: “On VK for the first time? Sign up for VK”. This is where you will write the information needed to create a new VK account. If you want to create your account using your Facebook details, you can click on ‘Continue as (your Facebook name)’. This makes the process much simpler, since VK will take the information from your Facebook account. Otherwise, you can follow the steps below to create a VK account.
- Write your first name and last name (surname) in the corresponding fields.
- Enter your birth date. This will help friends find you, and will allow VK to provide appropriate news in your newsfeed. You must be at least 13 years old in order to create a VK account.
- Click on the “Sign up” button. This will take you to the next window, where you will validate your account.
- Account validation: for security reasons, VK will require you to enter a valid mobile phone number. Enter the country (on some computers, this may be automatically completed for you), and your phone number in the corresponding field. After this, click on the “Get code” button.
- After you receive the verification code on your mobile phone, enter it in the corresponding field and click on the “Confirm” button.
- This is the step where you choose a password for your VK account. After you write the password in the corresponding field, click on the “Join VK” button.
Congratulations, you have created your VK account! Now you can set up your profile, add photos and friends, and take advantage of one of the fastest growing social networks in the world!