Twitter is one of the most famous news and social services in the world. The website was launched in 2006 and boasts more than 320 million users. Users have the ability to post and interact through messages, known as “tweets.” Up until recently, these messages had a limit of 140 characters, but in November 2017 this was doubled to 280 characters (for languages except Japanese, Korean and Chinese). Registered users can post tweets, those who are unregistered can only read them. Users can access Twitter through a website interface, Short Message Service (SMS) or mobile device application software (“app”).
How to create a new Twitter account
These are the steps you need to follow in order to create a new Twitter account:
- Open a new browser window and go to: https://twitter.com or https://twitter.com/signup . On the right side of the screen, under the “Join Twitter today”, you will see two fields. Write your email or phone number and your chosen password.
- After you have written your chosen password, a new field will appear, where you must enter your full name. After this, press on “Sign up.”
- On the next page, you must enter your mobile phone number. For security reasons (they will send a verification code by SMS to your mobile phone), Twitter requires you to enter a valid mobile phone number. You may also request a voice call to verify your phone number. First, you need to select your country from the drop-down list. This section might be already completed for you. The country is used to set the international prefix for your phone number. Enter your phone number in the corresponding field and click on “Next”.
- Enter the verification code in the box provided.
- After you have been verified, you can select a username, in order to finish creating your Twitter account. Usernames are unique identifiers. You can use the one suggested by Twitter, or you can create your own. Type the username you want in the corresponding field. If the username is already taken, you will be prompted to choose another one.
- Double-check your name, phone number, password, and username.
- Click on “Create my account”. There are situations where you might be asked to complete a Captcha to let Twitter know that you’re human. This usually happens if your account seems similar to fake accounts or you haven’t finished the verification process yet.
Congratulations! You have just created your Twitter account. Now you can personalize your page and start tweeting!