Hotmail is a web-based email service, offering webmail, contacts, tasks, and calendaring services. It was founded in 1996 as the first free email service in the world, and bought by Microsoft, who saw the value this service would bring, in 1997. Initially, it was relaunched by Microsoft as MSN Hotmail, later rebranded as Windows Live Hotmail being and part of the Windows Live suite of products.
Since 2013, Hotmail has been revamped as Outlook.com, but in January 2018 it was announced that Microsoft will soon revive the Windows Live name-brand, so the name of the product might change by the end of the year.
How to Hotmail Sign In
If you want to sign in to your Hotmail account, these are the steps you need to follow:
- Open a new window in your browser and go to one of these pages: https://login.live.com . If you go to https://mail.live.com, you will be re-directed to https://login.live.com.
- You will be prompted to write your Hotmail email address, Skype ID or phone number in the corresponding field. After you do this, click on ‘Next’. On the next screen, enter your password in the corresponding field and click on ‘Sign in’. If you don’t want to be prompted for a password every time you open Hotmail, check the ‘Keep me signed in’ check box. If you forgot your password, click on ‘Forgotten my password’. After you click on ‘Sign in’, you will be taken to your Hotmail inbox.
- If you are trying to sign in to your Hotmail account using https://outlook.live.com/owa/ , go to the top right part of your screen, where you can see the ‘Sign in’ button, then click on it. You will be re-directed to https://login.live.com, and from then you will need to follow the steps described above.
- If you want to sign in through the MSN homepage at https://www.msn.com, go to the top right side of your browser window and click on ‘Sign in’. Similar to the cases of https://mail.live.com/ and https://outlook.live.com/owa/, you will be redirected to the Live.com login page (https://login.live.com/), from where you will only have to follow the steps already provided.
Hotmail Mobile Sign In
On mobile, there are two ways in which you can sign in to your Hotmail account: using a mobile web-browser or through the Outlook mobile app.
1. If you want to login on the website, open a new window in your preferred browser, and go to https://login.live.com. The link mentioned above might work as well, but they will all redirect you to this address. Write your Hotmail email address, Skype ID or phone number in the corresponding field.
After you do this, click on ‘Next’. On the next page, write your Hotmail account password in the corresponding field and click on ‘Sign in’. If you don’t want to be prompted for a password every time you open Hotmail, check the ‘Keep me signed in’ check box. If you don’t remember your password, click on ‘Forgotten my password’. You can recover your password with the help of the mobile phone number you provided when you signed up for your Hotmail account. After you click on ‘Sign in’, you will be taken to your Hotmail inbox, and be able to check your emails.
2. If you are signing in by using an Outlook app, first you must make sure that you have Outlook downloaded on your mobile device. If you don’t, you must download it first. Open the Google Play Store (Android) or the App Store (iOS) and search for “Microsoft Outlook.” Tap Install.
After your app has been successfully installed on your mobile device, open it.
Click on the blue button “GET STARTED” in order to add your account to the app.
Enter your email address in the corresponding field. You can write only your username and then choose the correct domain from the list in the bottom of the screen. After this, press on ‘Continue’.
The next page will look very similar to the one on the Hotmail website. Write your Hotmail account password in the corresponding field and click on ‘Sign in’.
The app does not have a check box for remembering your password, and will instead keep you connected until you decide to sign off.
If you do not manage to sign in to your Hotmail account, check any one of these things:
- That you’ve written your password correctly. In case you don’t remember your password, try to reset it.
- That Caps Lock is turned off – Hotmail passwords are case sensitive.
- That you spelled your email address correctly
- That your account hasn’t been inactive for more than a year. To keep your Hotmail/Outlook account active, you must sign in to the account at least once a year. After 365 days of inactivity, your email will be deleted (not deactivated) and you cannot recover the contents of your account.
If you’re still having problems signing in, try the following: check the service status for Outlook.com and/or turn off automatic sign in.
Now that you have signed in to your Hotmail account, you can check your emails and take advantage of the great features offered by the service, such as: calendars, tasks, message filters, spam filtering, auto-completion of contact addresses, contacts import and export, virus scans, rich text formatting and signatures, and many more. There is no wonder that Hotmail has continued to remain, in the past 20 years, one of the best web-based services, currently having over 400 million active users. Happy emailing!