Hotmail is one of the best free online email services out there. Founded in 1996 as the first free email service in the world, Hotmail was acquired by Microsoft in 1997 and since renamed as Outlook.com. It offers great features such as: calendars, tasks, message filters, spam filtering, auto-completion of contact addresses, contacts import and export, virus scans, rich text formatting and signatures, and many more.
It is very easy to create a new Hotmail account. Simply follow these instructions from any device and you’ll be on your way to discovering Hotmail’s intuitive inbox, clean design and quicker-than-ever speed.
How to create a new Hotmail account
- First step: In your computer browser, go to the https://outlook.live.com/owa/ address and click on “Create account”. You can see this option in the top right side of the screen.
- Second step: You will be provided with two fields and asked to set a new email address and a password.
The email address will consist of the username of your choice and the domain. In the first field, you will write the username, which needs to be unique. In the right side of the username box, you will see a dropdown list, from where you can choose the domain of your email. You have two possible choices: @outlook.com and @hotmail.com.
In the field below, set your password of choice. The password will need to be at least eight characters long and contain at least two of the following: upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers and symbols. Try to set a password that it is difficult enough, but which you can remember easily. Do not use a password that you have already used on other accounts, since this is how most accounts are usually hacked.
If you want, you can tick the box below, confirming that you want to receive promotional emails from Microsoft, but this is not a mandatory step. So if you don’t want to receive any promotions, leave the box unchecked. After this, click on Next.
- Third step: Add details: on the next page, write your first name and surname (last name) in the fields provided and click on Next.
- Fourth step: Click on the Country/region drop-down list and click on your current location. In the Date of birth section, click the Month, Day and Year boxes and select the date on which you were born. Afterwards, click on Next.
At this point, if the password you had set at step 2 is considered by the system as too easy or too commonly used, the setup process will return there, and you will have to set a new password and repeat steps 3 and 4.
- Fifth step: The final step of creating a new Hotmail account is the CAPTCHA test. This is where you need to prove that you are a real person. You will be provided with an image featuring two short strings of letters and numbers, which you will have to transcribe in a field below the image. If needed, you have the option of requesting a new captcha or the audio version, by pressing on the New and Audio buttons. After this, you need to press on Next.
After you submitted the correct answer, you will be directed to your new Hotmail account inbox. You will be required to confirm your time zone (Hotmail will most likely set it for you) manually and customize to your liking the new free Hotmail account you created.
Finally, you managed to create your own Hotmail account. Feel free to browse around and get acquainted, a number of options are available to help you tailor your account.