Gmail is an email service developed by Google, released in 2009, becoming fast one of the world’s most popular email programs. It can be accessed on the web and using third-party programs (through POP or IMAP protocols).
Gmail offers you 15 GB of storage space. You can receive emails with a size of up to 50 MB, and you can send emails of up to 25 MB. Gmail has a search-oriented interface and a “conversation view” similar to an Internet forum, but you can change this by opening your Gmail email address from Inbox by Google, which aims to improve email productivity and organization through several key features. It has more than 1.2 billion users, and was the first app on the Google Play Store to hit one billion installations.
It’s very easy to create a new Gmail account, and you’ll have many advantages. Basically, you’re creating a Google account, and getting access to all of Google’s services.
How to create a Gmail account
These are the steps you need to follow in order to create a new Gmail account:
- Open a new window in your browser and open: https://accounts.google.com . You will be prompted to the log in page for your Google account. You need to click on “More options”. You will be given two options: “Create account” and “Not your device?”. Click on “Create account” and you’ll be taken to the sign-up page. Alternatively, you can simply go to: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp
- Name: write your first name and last name (or surname) in the corresponding fields.
- Choose your username: Choose your preferred username. You can use letters, numbers and symbols. Google will not offer valid suggestions based on the first name and last name you provided. The domain will be “@gmail.com”. if the username you choose is already in use, you will get the message “Someone already has that username. Note that we ignore periods and capitalization in usernames. Try another?”.
- Now you need to create a password. You must use at least 8 characters. Google recommends that you don’t use a password from another site, or something too obvious like your pet’s name.
- In the field below, you need to confirm your password.
- Birthday: Select your birth month from the drop-down list, then write the day and year of your birth in the corresponding fields.
- Gender: Select your gender from the drop-down list. Google offers four options for this: Male, Female, Other and Rather not say. You can’t leave the field empty, but you can choose the option of not disclosing your gender.
- Mobile phone: Write your mobile number in the field request. The country prefix will be pre-completed for you.
- Your current email address – Google will use this to secure your account and to send notifications. Write the information in the corresponding field.
- Location – this field will be auto-completed by Google, but you can also choose your country of residence from the drop-down list.
- After you wrote all the information requested in the sign-up form, click on “Next”.
- A message with Google’s Privacy & Terms of conditions will appear on your screen. Read the text carefully, then click on “I agree”.
Congratulations! You just created your Gmail account. A screen with a welcome message will appear! Click on “Continue” and you will be taken to your Account page. From here you can personalize your account, modify your privacy settings, and so much more!