Before you can use Facebook, you must create a new account. Creating a Facebook account is free and all you need to get started is an email address and a few minutes of your time.
If you decide to join the ever-growing number of people who use Facebook, the free and most popular social network in the world, these are the steps you need to follow.
To create a Facebook account
- Open a new browser window and visit the Facebook website, at https://www.facebook.com. On the homepage, slightly in the right side of the screen, you will see a section called Create an account. These fields are required in order to create a new Facebook account.
- Write your first name and surname in the correspondent fields. Be very careful about writing fake information in these fields: Facebook has a strict real name policy, which requires users to use their real names when signing up.
- Type your mobile number or email address in the next field. You can only create one Facebook account per email address, but you can use your mobile phone number in order to register more than one Facebook account. You will use this in order to login in, and for password recovery, in case you ever lose or forget your password.
- Next, you need to set a password. This must be a combination of at least six numbers, letters and punctuation marks. Try to set a unique password, that you don’t use on other accounts.
- After you set the password, you need to complete your birthdate details. In the Birthday section, click on the Day, Month and Year dropdown lists and select the date on which you were born. According to Facebook, providing your date of birth helps make sure that you get the right Facebook experience for your age. Also, you must be at least 13 years old to create a Facebook account.
- The next step selecting the option corresponding to your gender.
- After you have completed all the information necessary in the correspondent fields, click on the “Create an account” button.
- After you created your Facebook account, you need to verify it. You will receive a verification code on your mobile phone or email address, depending on which one you used to create your Facebook account.
- If you created your account using a mobile number, when you log in for the first time, you will be asked to insert a verification code which you will receive in a text message (SMS) on your mobile phone. If the SMS doesn’t arrive right away, wait for a couple of more minutes. If you still don’t receive the text message, check if you wrote your mobile number correctly. If you didn’t, update the phone number and try to send the SMS again. Keep in mind that in some countries you can wait for up to 12 hours for the SMS to arrive.
- To verify a Facebook account created by email, you must enter the code received in your inbox when you created the account. If you didn’t receive your confirmation email, check the junk/spam mail folder of your inbox. Users of Gmail should verify the emails in the Social category. Make sure that you entered the correct email. If you entered the wrong email, you can change it and send the email again.
- After your write the verification code in the field box provided on your screen, click on the blue “Confirm Your Account” box.
Congratulations! You have just created your Facebook account and joined the largest social network in the world! Now you can setup the Facebook account to your liking. You can set a profile picture, add friends (Facebook will suggest you add contacts in your phone/email address book as your first friends), post on yours on your friends’ timelines, share content from other sources on the Internet, chat with your friends, and even find out about the best events happening in your city!